Okay, I am actually very happy with this recipe.
When I first learned I had developed a dairy allergy (like, no animal milk what-so-ever… Goodbye goat cheese! 😥 ), I was really heartbroken because it was the one allergy I felt like I was impervious to.
I really don’t know why, I just did.
Anyways, after doing a lot of extensive research on dairy alternatives (outside of coconut milk, since I am allergic to that as well), I somehow stumbled upon silken tofu, which, for some reason, never occurred to me. And now, after trying it out, I have developed an almost unhealthy obsession with silken tofu just because of its versatility. I’ve been able to successfully (and satisfyingly) make curries and dressings and whatever else that needs that thick, delicious, tongue-coating feel without feeling like I’m missing something.
So, I wanted to share one of my favorite silken tofu recipes, which also happened to be one of the first ones I came up with.
Who doesn’t enjoy a good ranch dressing?
And if you don’t, you’re wrong.
Now, before I decided to share it, I knew I had to do a blind taste test on some unsuspecting guinea pigs. So, I had some friends over for a game day and put out a vegetable plate with the ranch dressing front and center. As they munched on their ranch covered carrots and celery, I watched their reactions. I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a second of them tasting my ranch for the first time.
And guess what?
My victims *cough*… friends were none the wiser! They just thought it was just your normal, dairy-loaded dressing.
It passed the test!
What also prompted me to share this recipe was how easy it was to throw together. It takes less than 5 minutes and can be all be done in a food processor in one simple step if you want.
WOW! That’s two for two!
So let’s get to it!
- 1/2 pound of silken tofu (the one I buy comes in one pound blocks, so you only need half of the container)
- 6 ounces of Tofutti ‘Better Than Sour Cream’ (this comes in 12 ounce tubs, so you’ll only use half of this as well)
- 2 teaspoons of distilled vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (now I know Worcestershire sauce isn’t originally vegan, but you can find vegan brands either in store or online. The one I used isn’t vegan, but that’s just because I’m not vegan. I also know that you can find a vegan AND gluten free version as well, so if you’re worried about the gluten while still avoiding animal products, there’s a brand for you as well!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 small pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of minced dill
- 2 teaspoons of chopped chives
- Place tofu, Tofutti, distilled vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in a blender and puree until smooth (I just used my NutriBullet)
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and whisk in garlic powder, white pepper, onion powder, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk in dill and chives.
And that’s it! Like I said, super simple.
You can also add all of the ingredients to the blender and make the dressing in one step if you want, but I personally like seeing the flecks of dill and chives throughout, so I just add them last.
And obviously the longer it sits, the better it gets. Definitely worth planning a salad the next day.
OR, getting some french fries and dipping them in it…
Whatever you want to do.
I’m not one to judge.