You know how each family has their own little food traditions that everyone follows, NO MATTER WHAT?
Well, ours is spinach dip.
And it’s not just any type of spinach dip.
You can’t buy this spinach dip in the store.
You have to make it.
Well, not you specifically.
Just any family member in attendance.
Like, legit. This spinach dip has appeared at more family gatherings than there are members in my family. And the best part about it is that everyone loves it.
There’s never any left, and if there is, someone has already stashed it on their to-go plate to eat it later.
The spinach dip is serious business.
I am also pretty sure the reason why this dip is so popular is because it’s so simple to make. You just throw stuff into a pot and when it’s all melted together, it’s ready to go.
Since it is originally made with cream cheese, I had been avoiding it at our family gatherings like the plague, BUT NO MORE! While experimenting and tweaking the recipe, I have found that Tofutti ‘Better Than Cream Cheese’ is the perfect substitution that not only makes this dip dairy-free, but also vegan! So everyone can enjoy it!
I hope this recipe is as big of a hit with your family as it is with mine.
So here it is!
P.S. I usually make this in double batches just because I know it won’t last long, but if this is your first time making it, feel free to just half the recipe to try it. I’ll provide the measurements, but the pictures are of me making a double batch.
For a Single Batch:
- 12 ounces of chopped, frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed)
- 1 8 ounce tubs of Tofutti ‘Better Than Cream Cheese’ cream cheese alternative
- 8 ounces of Pace Picante Sauce (Medium)
- 1 cup of Pace Salsa (Medium)
- 1 medium tomato (small diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 3/4 (1/2 + 1/4) teaspoon of salt
- A small pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 stalk of green onion (chopped)
For a Double Batch:
- 24 ounce bag of chopped, frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed)
- 2 8 ounce tubs of Tofutti ‘Better Than Cream Cheese’ cream cheese alternative
- 1 16 ounce jar of Pace Picante Sauce (Medium)
- 2 cups of Pace Salsa (Medium)
- 2 medium tomatoes (small diced)
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 stalks of green onion (chopped)
- Over medium heat, combine spinach and ‘cream cheese’ into a sauce pot. Stir until the cream cheese is completely melted and the combined with the spinach.
- Add the Pace Picante Sauce and salsa, and stir until heated through.
- Add tomatoes and stir again until heated.
- Add white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, and green onion to the pot and stir over medium heat for another 4-5 minutes until dip has thickened.
- Place dip in serving bowl and enjoy!
Now, this dip is usually served with cheese on top, but because I haven’t found a satisfying, melty, dairy-free cheese yet, I just leave it off. BUT if you aren’t allergic to dairy or actually enjoy vegan cheese, you can either top this with a Mexican-blend (for those who love cheese), or with a vegan cheddar.
Me, personally, I just eat it without.
It’s still delicious, and everyone will still enjoy eating it.