MACARONI AND CHEESE?!
It wouldn’t be the holidays without this luscious, creamy, pasta-y, cheesy goodness we all know and love.
In fact, a bad macaroni and cheese has been known to ruin an otherwise delicious family dinner (same thing with mashed potatoes, but that’s for another post).
Thankfully, this macaroni and cheese recipe will not only complete a perfectly delicious dinner, but it will also show those vegan-hating pessimists that vegan food is worthy of being on any menu.
AND it’s SUPER easy.
Like, stupid easy.
Like, so easy that if you’ve made my vegan queso, you can imagine how easy this is.
This is the world’s easiest vegan macaroni and cheese.
AND, it’s only ‘5’ ingredients, like I promised.
Now this is just for my basic macaroni and cheese recipe. If you want to do more, then do more. For example, I know that this would be just as delicious, if not more so, with a crunchy, toasted, bread crumb topping, BUT, since I limited myself to 5 ingredients and keeping things simple, I eliminated the topping.
So, here’s what you’ll need.
- 1 batch of my vegan queso recipe without the cornstarch (you can find the recipe here: Vegan Queso Recipe)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, small diced
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 16oz bag of your favorite elbow pasta (which is the perfect pasta for macaroni and cheese)
- ***OPTIONAL: 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and a stalk of green onion cut on the biased***
- In a sauce pot, saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add the vegan queso to the onions and garlic and stir until melted (or you could just make a quick batch in the same pot with the onions and garlic).
- Add red pepper flakes (and black pepper if you want). Set aside.
- Cook elbow pasta according to box/ bag instructions (make sure water is salted!). When done, or al dente, set aside a 1/2 cup of the salted pasta water, and strain your pasta.
- Return pasta to the pot and add your cheese sauce to the pasta.
- Add the 1/2 cup of pasta water to thin out the sauce.
- Mix in your green onions.
Serve and enjoy!